Thursday, October 23, 2008

What do you do with 50 lbs of Tomatoes?!?

Make Salsa of course!

So the last few weeks my friend Janice and I have been on a "Molly Mormon" streak. We've been doing lots of crafts and projects, but Janice had a new scheme for today...Canning Salsa! Anyone who knows me is aware that the kitchen is not my favorite place to be, but I actually had a lot of fun canning. My friend Jolene was our teacher because she is an old pro. I pretty much just chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic and peppers for like seven hours, which gave my hands this lovely orange hue. Mario thinks that I have lost my mind and keeps reminding me that you can buy salsa at Costco, but it's all about learning a new craft in my mind. Right? Plus it was cheap to make, super yummy, and fun to do...but I am so getting into the jacuzzi right now with lots of bubbles because I smell like onions!


These are only SOME of the ingredients. We actually overbought the tomatoes and have decided to can spaghetti sauce next week.




Janice was a chopping machine and awesome to let us trash her house (HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANICE, you're awesome!!!!)




Jolene was so nice to let us borrow her stuff and teach us how to do it all.



I have never in my life chopped so much! I'm going to be dreaming onions tonight!




Sweet, sweet success! Aren't they cute? It is so yummy!





Tyler slept some of the time and was a really good little baby. Adam was also super good considering that we didn't finish until 10pm...it literally took all day.




50 lbs of tomatoes equals 50 jars of delicious homemade salsa!

7 comments:

Cameron, Shannon Voge said...

Isn't canning funner than you thought? I just learned how to can salsa a few weeks ago too... and it wasn't too bad!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Linda. Soon you will be just a Martha Stuart as Jennifer! Maybe ever more.

Brooks and Heather Lively said...

Oh I am so jealous! That looks amazing! Good job Linda! Maybe when I grow up I can be a little Molly Mormon like you!

Anja said...

Ok, so we were a little bit off in how many tomatoes you had to buy! OOPS! Looks like you were busy and had fuN!!!!

NephiAndTonilinn said...

Good Job Linda keep up that Kind of stuff you will become a very good chef Love ya Can't Waite to see ya

Tana said...

Do I need to bring you over some blackberries and apples for you to make jellies and pie filling?

corine said...

That sounds yummy! David got the backyard done at the end of summer, so next year I'll be ready to plant my salsa garden... tomatoes, peppers, onions, cilantro...and whatever else goes in salsa :) You'll have to visit and share your salsa expertise!